What to do with used coffee grounds: make your own face scrub!
We love coffee in our house, and have enjoyed all the many wonderful ways of preparing it. But one of the questions I had was what I could do with the coffee grounds afterwards?
Ever since finding out about the zero waste movement, learning how to reduce your waste and finding ways to reuse some of your waste is important. I have been trying to make my own health and beauty products from ingredients I had around the house or could easily buy with minimal packaging. I’ve written some posts about making deodorant, tooth paste and body butter. My favourite thus far has been the body butter, I use it almost every day and my skin has been amazingly healthy and soft.
But I have been trying to find ways of reusing some of my waste into a useful product that I didn’t have to buy. One of the issues I has was my skin needing some exfoliation, so I did some research on what I could make at home for that instead of buying something. And using used coffee grounds makes a great skin exfoliator! Not only does it keep your skin silky smooth, but it utilizes your old coffee grounds- yay for up-cycling! Plus, creating your own beauty products from all natural and organic ingredients insures that you’re keeping toxins out of your body.
Here is what you need:
- 1 cup dried used coffee grounds
- 1 cup salt or sugar
- 1/2 cup liquid coconut oil
How to make:
- If your coconut oil is not in liquid form, melt it and allow to cool without it becoming solid again.
- Mix in your used coffee grounds and sugar or salt
- Store in an airtight container like a glass jar (try reusing one you have around the house already).
- Rub coffee scrub into skin to exfoliate
- Rinse skin clean
- Make sure to moisturize afterwards
- Enjoy the softness