Make your own luxurious whipped body butter
Are you tired of being dissatisfied with your skin creams? Do you use a different product for your body, face and eyes? Do you pay a lot of money buying these products? There is a natural, affordable way of making your own cream that can be used all over your body, even your face, that smells amazing and will save you money.
I stopped using commercial body cream a long time ago, because I decided there were too many ingredients that I didn’t know and I thought that there must be better ways of moisturizing my skin. Also, many ‘natural’ skin products are really expensive, so I wouldn’t buy them. For a long time, I just used coconut oil on my skin, and my skin would feel soft and moisturized for ages. But after a while, during the drier months, I would still struggle with dry skin so I decided to look into making my own cream.
When I found this recipe, I was so excited to try it, because it has minimal ingredients, and all they all have properties that I know will help my skin. I also realised how amazing it would smell, and I couldn’t wait to put it on my skin! It works great on sensitive skin, even baby skin, and skin that’s prone to being oily, dry, has eczema, and helps prevent stretch marks.
The ingredients you’ll need are used in equal parts. If you’re trying this for the first time and want to make a small amount, then try using a tablespoon of each. But if you love the sound of it and you know you’ll use it and want to make a bigger batch, increase to a quarter cup of each. I have added the benefits of each ingredient at the bottom of the post so you can see why each thing is in there and why it’s good for your skin.
What you’ll need:
For the purpose of this recipe, I used 2 tablespoons of each ingredient, so please adjust accordingly:
- 2 Tbsp Organic Coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp Organic Shea Butter
- 2 Tbsp Sweet Almond Oil
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa Butter
- about 5 drops of an essential oil that you love, that will go with a chocolate-ty smell. I used sweet orange oil. If you’re not a fan of the chocolate smell, you can go with a scent that will mask it, like lavender. Whatever smell you love.
- A reusable container that you’ll decant your body butter into once it’s made.
- A double boiler, or a glass bowl over a pot with some boiling water in.
- An electric mixer
How to make:
- Add in the coconut oil, shea butter, almond oil and cocoa butter into a large glass bowl.
- Put over a pot of boiling water, allowing the contents to melt completely, stirring continuously. Watch that the mixture doesn’t get too hot and start boiling, that will spoil it.
- Once completely melted and combined, take off the heat immediately, and store in the fridge until cool and hardened. This will be about an hour, but it depends on how cold your fridge is and how hot the mixture was.
- Once cooled, remove from the fridge, and get your electric mixer, and start whipping it. Whip for about 5-10 minutes or until it has the consistency of whipped cream, making sure you scrape down the sides of the bowl so it’s all mixed. It needs to be able to stand up on it’s own if you lift the mixer up.
- Add in your essential oil, only about 5 drops, and mix.
- Decant your mixture into a reusable container and enjoy
- Try not to eat it every time you smell it
That’s it! it’s as easy as that. Now you can make your own body butter that can be used everywhere, with out constantly buying products in plastic containers, thus reducing your waste, saving you money and having amazing skin that smells great.
When you use this, a little goes a long way. You just need a small amount, and it spreads really well.
Why it’s good for you:
- Coconut oil: Has hydration, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. This means its an excellent moisturizer, and reduces the risk of bacterial infections causing acne, offers some protection from UV light, and can reduce signs of aging.
- Shea butter: Rich in vitamin A and E, has healing properties that stimulate collagen formation, reducing wrinkles, stretch marks and inflammatory skin conditions.
- Sweet almond oil: Has excellent emollient properties, which softens and soothes skin. Rich in vitamin B and E, fatty acids, protein, potassium and zinc. Sweet almond oil is hypoallergenic, can be used on babies and very sensitive skin. Has some healing properties, and can relieve eczema, psoriasis, rashes as well as help prevent wrinkles and stretch marks. Also works really well as massage oil, an excuse to buy it and make hints to your partner!
- Cocoa butter: Acts as a barrier and prevents moisture loss. Rich in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties, offers some protection from UV light, may help prevent wrinkles and stretch marks. Also, it smells amazing!
I hope you enjoyed this post, and I hope you make this because your skin will thank you. If you have oily skin and feel a little worried, I would love to hear from you. I know it seems a little counterproductive to put oil on oily skin, but apparently natural oils can really help if used correctly. If you have any other question or comments, I’d love to hear from you!