How to make your own toothpaste!

You don’t need Colgate or Aquafresh or Sensodyne to clean your teeth. You can make your own affordably that will last you ages, plus you can just use one reusable container, meaning no waste every time you need toothpaste! I love this recipe because it works extremely well, after brushing my teeth using this, my teeth were so much cleaner, whiter, shinier and felt stronger than when I used store bought toothpaste. This also works great for people with sensitive teeth.

This recipe only has 3 ingredients and it literally takes you 5 minutes to make this, so you should try it. You know you want to. So lets get started.

What you’ll need:

• A reusable glass jar that you’ll store your toothpaste in
  • 2 Tablespoons of organic coconut oil
  • 1 Tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
  • 15- 20 drops of organic essential oil of your choice (peppermint, spearmint or even cinnamon, whatever you prefer)

Method:

1. Add all your ingredients in your reusable glass jar (or whatever other container you have)
  2. Mix them well until combined. I used a chopstick to stir it.

And there you have it, you just made toothpaste! When you want to use it, just put a small amount on your tooth brush and brush as you normally would.

A few things to consider: It’s not going to foam up and it will taste a little saltier than you’re used to but you’ll get used to it very quickly. And no, the coconut oil doesn’t stick in your mouth and leave you with an oily feeling layer, its bonded to the bicarb so you’re only left with a clean feeling in your mouth afterwards.

I hope you enjoy making and using your own toothpaste, subscribe for more of these ‘how to’s’, and let me know if you have any questions or comments, I love hearing from you!

6 Comments

1. Alexa

7th September 2017 at 2:02 pm

Thanks for this, want to give it a bash. Do you melt the coconut oil because it’s usually solid at our room temperature? Does it go back to solid once you’ve made it?

1. Kristin Hofmeyr

7th September 2017 at 2:07 pm

I made mine on a warm day, the coconut oil was solid but soft enough to mix. If it’s cold, and it’s quite hard, you could melt it a bit and it does go back to being solid afterwards. These products with coconut oil in them will fluctuate with the weather, if it’s cold and too hard, you could run the jar in warm water to soften it, and if it’s too soft, you could leave it in the fridge for a few minutes to harden it. Hope that helps 🙂 happy toothpaste making!

2. Sarah Cameron

7th September 2017 at 3:39 pm

Definitely going to try this when my current toothpaste runs out. Any suggestions about what you could use for dental floss and an alternative to buying a plastic tooth brush?

1. Kristin Hofmeyr

8th September 2017 at 9:18 am

Great questions Sarah and I’m glad that you’re going to give this a try. Dental floss has been a bit difficult, but what I do is just use a string of cotton thread, it works just as well as regular floss and I avoid a whole lot of plastic that way. If you would like to buy floss, there aren’t many options, and they are quite expensive. The best available in South Africa is the WooBamboo or the Eco-Dent Vegan floss. They are both found on Faithful to Nature online store. They come in minimal packaging, which is biodegradable and the floss itself is made from either silk or nylon. The WooBamboo is probably the best.
      There are some great toothbrushes available, I use a bamboo toothbrush with biodegradable bristles. It works well and lasts quite long. There are a few brands available, and you can even buy them in bulk on Faithful to Nature. You can get singles from Nature’s Warehouse and have a look around at the Nature shops in your area.
      When you’re done with your plastic toothbrush, keep it and use it for cleaning purposes.
      Hope this information is useful to you 🙂

3. Candice

7th September 2017 at 6:27 pm

Sounds great, definitely need to try it.
    Did some reading up and shows that the bicarb brings the mild abrasive action to clean teeth and helps maintain a healthy pH in the mouth to prevent bugs building up. Bicarb is also is a salt so has antimicrobial effects. The coconut oil is also shown to have some action against the bugs causing cavities. All this, without all the extra foaming and preserving agents. Sounds like a win.

Thank you for sharing. Will let you know when I try it.

1. Kristin Hofmeyr

8th September 2017 at 9:26 am

Thanks for your comment Candice 🙂 yes, bicarb has some great benefits, and that’s one of the reasons why I decided to try this. Initially, I was worried that by using a toothpaste without fluoride, I would be doing my teeth a disservice. But after reading many articles, and personal experiences, people seem to heave strong healthy teeth many years after just using a bicarb based toothpaste! I think one of the key things to healthy teeth is cleaning them regularly, and a healthy diet. And I would rather clean my teeth with natural ingredients, avoiding chemicals like preservatives and plastic.

You certainly made me more aware that if I do a post like this again, I will add this kind of information in. So thank you 🙂